Do you need a CDL to drive a box truck? This is a very common question from our customers! A CDL is a Commercial Driver License that is required to operate large, heavy or hazardous materials in the U.S. for commerce. There are different types of CDL and they require special knowledge and testing through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. These proper endorsements are for skilled roles for truck drivers or school buses.
When renting a box truck at Marcus Allard Truck Rental, you are good to go with just your own driver’s license. The size of box trucks that we rent do not require a CDL or special endorsement to drive. We offer 14- to 16-foot box trucks for rent. There is a lift gate on the larger size and room for three people. While a CDL is not required, our customers need a valid license and must be at least 21 years old. Additional drivers are allowed for a minimal additional charge. All of our vehicles may be driven within the continental U.S. and Canada.
Be Comfortable in the Driver’s Seat
Even though a special endorsement or license is not needed, our team does understand that driving a box truck can be a new experience! The vehicle may be the largest that our customers have ever driven. We are happy to go over the vehicle before you leave the lot to help you feel more comfortable before heading out. Having confidence and sharp driving skills is really all you need!
Additional tips for driving a box truck include:
- Be especially aware of your surroundings and other vehicles around you when you are on the road.
- As it can take longer to stop a larger vehicle, drive slower and watch the distance between you and others on the road.
- Take extra time while reversing and parking.
- Understand that a box truck makes wider turns than a typical sedan.
- Make sure there is plenty of space and time when you are changing lanes.
- Make sure that your load in the back is safely secured, so that it is not shifting and causing any issues while you are on the road.
- If you are not sure of your comfort level driving, you may want to add an additional driver on the contract as a back-up driver and so you can take breaks as needed.
We Are Here for You
Our team here has been in the region since 1958 and as a merged company, since 1995. We have a long history of helping our community members in the Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana region with their vehicle rental needs. Our fleet does not just include box trucks, but also pick-up trucks and passenger vans. We are happy to discuss what your needs are and guide you in the direction of what will best fit your move or special event. Contact us today through our online contact form.